Technical Engineering Manager (Search Section)
They are one of the leading e-commerce companies in the world.
Their mission is to contribute to society by creating value through innovation and entrepreneurship. While aiming at becoming the Global Innovation Company. Their group’s 70+ businesses worldwide span e-commerce, digital content, communications and fin tech, bringing the joy of discovery to almost 1.3 billion members across the world. They have a diversified workforce made up of talented employees from more than 70 countries and regions.
Findability Department is part of the AI Products Supervisory Department under Technology Services Division and focuses on Search, Discovery, and Navigation experience for users.
They in Findability Department help demand meet supply through our services that are engineered for scale, performance, and ease of use. They support 20 plus their Businesses across three different continents, 50 plus user functions and over a billion active users annually generating over two Billion dollars in revenue directly from them.
Their Global Search Platform (GSP) is currently expanding it client portfolio by onboarding various businesses in the ecosystem on to it. And by leveraging Data & Machine Learning we are continuously improving the quality of service provided to our clients and aiding in the growth of our clients. They have a strong engineering mindset driven team responsible for accelerating the growth of the business with innovation. Supporting over 200 million searches a day and a million active users at any point of time, GSP is the backbone of their Ecosystem.
They are looking for a multi-faceted engineering leader who is passionate and data driven and has experience of working in a very dynamic environment with a group of outstanding engineers and data scientists to build and deliver large scale solutions across distributed teams in a time bound manner.
You will be mentoring and closely working with some of the smartest brains in the country in growing the product portfolio of Global Search Platform and creating value for their businesses in a time bound manner. A successful candidate will have an established background in system design, engineering, planning, executive reporting and risk management skillsets augmented by precise and clear communication skills.
- Managing the team of software engineers and project or product managers, who are working on the development, delivery, and operation of the platform.
- Hiring, onboarding, training, coaching and career development of team members.
- Team and individual goal setting, performance evaluation, and feedback.
- Ensuring smooth collaboration between team members, and resolving possible conflicts.
- Define and manage all phases of the software engineering process, including requirements understanding, design, development, quality assurance, delivery and operation.
- Communicate with the customers, understand the business requirements and translate them to system specifications.
- Ensuring quality by appropriately defining and tracking KPIs and SLAs, and reaching the corresponding targets.
- Ability to understand needs of E-Commerce shoppers, merchants and business units, and connect the value of various development activities to the end user needs
The organization consists of over a dozen nationalities and has a good mix of Engineers, Data Scientists, Researchers, Product Managers and Project Managers.
Our client is a large global Internet service company that has enjoyed sustained growth as they continue to expand their business in various new areas and industries. This is a great opportunity to work in a diverse and international environment in Japan. Our client actively strives to be an equal opportunity employer, and they have many female and foreign nationals in upper management positions. Their brand has also gained global recognition as they sponsor some of the world's most famous sports teams. Our client prides themselves in providing a comfortable working environment for their employees. Engineers are welcome to choose their own setup (Windows/Mac, etc.); whatever makes them comfortable! Free meals are also provided at the company cafeteria. Their chefs work to create exciting new menus and dishes, so employees never get tired of the food!
Flex (7.5 hours a day with core time 11:00 – 15:00)
Saturday, Sunday, and National Holidays, Year-end and New Year Holidays, Paid Holidays, Other Special Holidays
【Services / Benefits】
Social insurance, No smoking indoors allowed (Designated smoking area), Commutation Fee covered up to 20,000 JPY per month, Free breakfast, lunch and dinner, Casual clothes is acceptable
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
- 5+ years of experience as an Engineer
- 5+ years of Project Management experience in a technology industry
- 5+ years of managing people and leading cross-functional teams
- Solid technical background, with understanding or hands-on experience in software development and web technologies
- Well versed in conversational Japanese & ability to understand the cultural aspects of customers would be an added advantage
- Experience with agile methods
- Experience working in a “big-data” environment (Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Snowflake, Redshift, etc.)
- Ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities at the same time
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Japanese fluency